Friday, June 17, 2011

My attempt at kitchen design (on a budget)

In February of 2010 I purchased my first house - well it's a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom condo in Centreville, VA, - and I was able to get it for a big bargain! I love that B word. However...it was a disaster zone. And when I say disaster zone I mean my lovely boyfriend, who I will call Mr. Emily, wouldn't even step foot in it. The carpets smelled like cat pee, the kitchen was straight out of 1970, the walls were dirty, there was crap everywhere; it was just a nightmare. But I saw sweat equity! This blog post will show you my attempt at a kitchen transformation for under $5,000.

Here are the "before pictures." As you can see, the cabinets were outdated, there was a faux brick wall, a washer in the kitchen (my personal nightmare), 3 appliances that didn't actually work that well (dishwasher not at all) and horrible blue tile which was also in the foyer and bathroom. Lucky me!!!




So...ready for the after!? Remember - still a work in progress as I need granite counter tops but haven't had the money saved to get them yet.



It's still a work in progress but compared to the before...it's much better isn't it!?

OK, I know everyone is just dying to know the details of how I attacked the kitchen.

For starters, that washer came right out. I never liked washers and dryers in the kitchen and I wasn't about to keep it there. When you're fixing a place up to make money it's a known fact that women are the ones that buy the houses and women like bathrooms, kitchens, hardwood floors, open floor plans, stainless steel appliances and COUNTER SPACE. I wasn't about to lose 30" of precious counter space for a washer.

In fact - I made even MORE counter space. Originally the wall in the picture below was plain and simple. There wasn't a cabinet there - it was just empty space. So - in went three cabinets.

I wanted to cut the wall in half to make it a counter top bar but upon closer inspection of the white pillars, they were load bearing. I still think it turned out nice however. Again - open layout - you can see right into the living room.




Next came the cabinets. I was going to resurface them but upon closer inspection they were completely dirty, falling apart and not level. I decided to just throw them all out and install all brand new cabinets. I purchased them from Lowe's - in stock and they came in 3 different colors. At the end of this blog I will give the specifics of where I bought everything. I decided to put an upright pantry at the end where the washer was because the kitchen didn't have one and again, storage is key. There was a gap between the side of the pantry and the wall so my father, Mr. B., built the wall out so you wouldn't see the gap. Creative huh?

As for the cabinets as a whole - buying in stock cabinets is quite cheap! I paid approximately $2,500 for the entire kitchen. AND if you go to the Post Office and pick up a stack of change of address forms you can get 10% off coupons to Lowe's in each one!!!

The appliances were purchased at Lowe's. All on sale and with the 10% coupon. I paid approximately $2,000 for the stove, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher.
Next came the tile floor. I purchased the tile at Lowe's in the clearance section. Approximately $40 for the entire floor plus probably another $40 in adhesive and grout.
Paint was $14 from Walmart.

It's a work in progress - counter tops will come next. But as you can see - cabinets, appliances and flooring for under $5,000.

Where'd Ya Get That?

Cabinets - Lowe's, in stock. The color I purchased was maple but it also seems to be called "saddle."


Appliances - Lowe's, in stock, Whirlpool, currently all on sale!





Emily's Tips to Save Money:

1. Buy things in stock and on sale

2. Do everything yourself - including picking up and delivering and installing. I saved a TON of money installing the cabinets myself and the tile floor.

3. Do not buy expensive paint! It's a waste of money! Take a paint sample you love from the expensive paint chips to Walmart and let them color match it. Gallons of paint are not cheap. Why pay $30+ when you can pay $15.00? Remember, it's going on your walls. You don't eat it, you don't sleep on it, you just look at it. Save your pennies for something more important.

4. Read and learn. It's not hard to do things yourself. It may take some time but in the end you feel accomplished because you did it yourself AND your checking account loves you for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment