Monday, August 1, 2011

New Armoire - Check!

I spent this past Saturday doing what I normally do which is take a trip to the Chantilly Habitat for Humanity Re-Store to see what goodies they have. I was looking through the 50% off furniture section when I saw this:



I just had to have it! It may not look too good in the picture but trust me when I say it's a sturdy, 6 foot tall, armoire that would have cost around $200 new. So, I bought it for $35.00, took it apart in the store, crammed half of it in my new Versa (I need a bigger car already) and then had Habitat deliver the other half.

I decided I wanted it to go in my master bedroom so that I've have a place for the TV aside from on my dresser which blocks the nice, pretty, rather large framed picture I have above it. Since I have the Hemnes bedroom set from Ikea in dark brown/black, I knew I'd have to spray paint this nice armoire.



So, I started taking it apart and spray painting it on my now black patio. I will definitely be posting a "how did I resurface my patio" blog entry here soon.



I used Krylon Satin Black and it took 2 cans to paint just the doors and another 5 cans to paint the actual armoire. But I think it turned out rather nicely, huh?





Next I will create a new backing for the armoire as there is a giant hole that someone put in the back to fit the tv they had. I will be purchasing what is called a Homasote board, which doubles as a cork board, and will be covering it with fabric that matches the decor of my bedoom. I will be purchasing clips to hold the fabric covered board in place.

Soon, I have a very cool, chic, back to my armoire. Not only that but since it doubles as a cork board, if I ever upgrade bedroom sets, which I plan on one day, then it will double as a computer work station. And the cork board backing will be perfect to pin all your notes on.

1 comment:

  1. You got a new car?! PS - LOVE LOVE LOVE the armoire - I would have totally snagged that too!

    ReplyDelete