Monday, July 16, 2012

Buffet anyone?

Every Saturday I take a trip to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore to try to find furniture pieces that I can fix up and re-sell. A few weeks ago I found this nasty brown buffet that needed some serious TLC. The cost was $35.00.

I, of course, realized I needed to take a "before" photo after I had removed the knobs/doors. But what do you people want from me? Be thankful I actually remembered to take the freaking photo this time.


The inside of the buffet drawer was lined with this green felt that had been super glued down. It was very time consuming removing that. Took a lot of elbow grease and nail polish remover to try to loosen up the glue. Even after 99% of it was removed, the bottom of the drawer was still bumpy. But I can only do so much!


I used a matte white spray paint from Lowes. Whatever the generic name brand spray paint they sell at Lowes. I also purchased new hardware for the knobs. In order to have the hinges match, I spray painted them a metallic gold. Once it was painted and dried, I realized any little nick or scratch would remove the paint. So I went back to the store and got a clear matte top coat and sprayed that all over the buffet. Worked like a charm.

Here is the afters!


You can't really see the bumpy residue from the felt glue, but trust me, its there.



Total Cost: $82.00 ($35 for the buffet. $12 for the new knobs. And about $35 in spray paint.)

Sold on Craiglist this weekend for $120.00

Total profit: ~$40.00

No comments:

Post a Comment