Sunday, July 22, 2012

Habitat for Humanity is starting to rip me off....

....and I don't like it!

There is no rhyme or reason why they price things the way that they do. One week I can get a dining room table for $25.00 or a freaking white buffet like the other day for $35.00. Then the next week I go in there and a small side table, which should only cost $5.00, is priced at $15.00! I don't get it. It makes no sense to me and it's starting to bother me. Maybe there is a complaint line I can call. I'll look into it.

Well this will be a short post because I didn't take before photos. I know, I know. Deal with it.

I went into the Habitat for Humanity Restore on Saturday and only found one little side table that I had any desire to refinish. It was NOT WORTH $15.00. But I wanted it so I paid $15.00 for it. There is hardly any profit margin when it comes to smaller items. From now on I'm only sticking to dressers/buffets/armoires (or other larger items).

But here is the side table after I painted it black and put new brushed nickel knobs on it. It was brown before, the same color as the dresser in the previous post. Only took one can of black matte spray paint.


Total Cost: $25.00
Table - $15.00
Spray paint - $4.00
Knobs - 3 knobs at $2.00 each = $6.00

I have it priced on Craigslist at $40. Although I will probably end up selling it for $30-40. Not a large profit margin at all!

Update 7/23/12
Sold for $30. Not a large profit but hey, it buys a meal at McDonalds.

No comments:

Post a Comment