Skip to main content

Habitat for Humanity is starting to rip me off....

....and I don't like it!

There is no rhyme or reason why they price things the way that they do. One week I can get a dining room table for $25.00 or a freaking white buffet like the other day for $35.00. Then the next week I go in there and a small side table, which should only cost $5.00, is priced at $15.00! I don't get it. It makes no sense to me and it's starting to bother me. Maybe there is a complaint line I can call. I'll look into it.

Well this will be a short post because I didn't take before photos. I know, I know. Deal with it.

I went into the Habitat for Humanity Restore on Saturday and only found one little side table that I had any desire to refinish. It was NOT WORTH $15.00. But I wanted it so I paid $15.00 for it. There is hardly any profit margin when it comes to smaller items. From now on I'm only sticking to dressers/buffets/armoires (or other larger items).

But here is the side table after I painted it black and put new brushed nickel knobs on it. It was brown before, the same color as the dresser in the previous post. Only took one can of black matte spray paint.


Total Cost: $25.00
Table - $15.00
Spray paint - $4.00
Knobs - 3 knobs at $2.00 each = $6.00

I have it priced on Craigslist at $40. Although I will probably end up selling it for $30-40. Not a large profit margin at all!

Update 7/23/12
Sold for $30. Not a large profit but hey, it buys a meal at McDonalds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1950's TV Bar Cart Transformation

I found this idea on Pinterest. Some cleaver person took a vintage 1950's tv, gutted it, and transformed it into a bar. What a genius idea! The moment I saw it, I knew I would have to re-create it. Here was the inspiration: First I had to track down a tv. I scoured Craigslist and found someone who was selling one for $25 so I snatched it up. In order to make a "bar" out of a tv, you need to remove all the "guts." Let me tell you now that removing the picture tube (inside of the tv) was a terrifying experience. I had read tutorial after tutorial online regarding the CRT (cathode ray tube). Every single tutorial I read said that if the CRT breaks, it would explode like a bomb sending glass particles everywhere. I.was.terrified. I did not take any pictures of the tv before it was gutted, or of the actual picture tube itself. Why I don't know but here is a stock photo I found online to show you what I was dealing with! It took me literally two w...

Granite!

It's been awhile since I last posted! I suck at this whole blogging business. I haven't been doing many home repairs over the past few months. I've pretty much run out of space in my 1,000 sq foot condo and because of that I can't go out and buy any new furniture pieces to refurbish because I have no where to put them! Anywho - I finally pulled the trigger and bought granite countertops. I figure it's about time. For the past 2 years I've been using a "fake countertop" made out of plyboard! I found an excellent granite dealer out of Manassas. Their name is Natural Stones, Inc. They definitely had the best prices in the area. I purchased the Santa Cecilia Light for $30/sq foot. Everything, including the sink, was only $1,400 for my entire kitchen. And they delivered and installed it within 4 days! Here is a picture of the countertop color. I love it! Next I had to figure out what kind of backsplash I wanted. I bought a few samples from Lowes and Home De...

New Armoire - Check!

I spent this past Saturday doing what I normally do which is take a trip to the Chantilly Habitat for Humanity Re-Store to see what goodies they have. I was looking through the 50% off furniture section when I saw this: I just had to have it! It may not look too good in the picture but trust me when I say it's a sturdy, 6 foot tall, armoire that would have cost around $200 new. So, I bought it for $35.00, took it apart in the store, crammed half of it in my new Versa (I need a bigger car already) and then had Habitat deliver the other half. I decided I wanted it to go in my master bedroom so that I've have a place for the TV aside from on my dresser which blocks the nice, pretty, rather large framed picture I have above it. Since I have the Hemnes bedroom set from Ikea in dark brown/black, I knew I'd have to spray paint this nice armoire. So, I started taking it apart and spray painting it on my now black patio. I will definitely be posting a "how did I resurface my pa...