Skip to main content

Dumpster Diving Dresser

I love dumpster diving. People throw away some really awesome stuff! For instance, check out this dresser that someone left by a dumpster at my boyfriend's condo complex. I was leaving one day and walked past the dumpster and nearly had a heart attack. I quickly pulled my car up and loaded it into the back. Mr. Emily (boyfriend) thinks I'm crazy and came out of his condo to help me with the expression of "God, not again" on his face but do I care? Nope.

So this is what I got for F.R.E.E. I love Free.


Definitely needs some TLC but overall it's a decent dresser so why anyone would throw this out is beyond me. They could have at least sold it for $25 as in on Craiglist! Oh well, their loss is my gain.

I decided to take a risk on this make over. I should stick to only universally liked colors, such as white or black. But I felt adventurous so I decided on Rust-Oleum's Slate Blue Matte. This time I used a white primer before I spray painted it in blue. I would have to say doing a quick once over in the white primer made the main color adhere better. It only took 2 cans of the Slate Blue and maybe 1/4 can of primer that I had left over from the white buffet I sold last week.

As for the knobs - I purchased replacement brushed nickel pulls and knobs from Lowe's. The only downfall of these older dressers is that the holes for the pulls are in sometimes hard to find sizes and sometimes the drawers have different size holes, which makes finding matching knobs a pain in the ass. For instance, with this dresser, the 4 drawer pulls on the top two drawers were 2.5" wide and the bottom 2 pulls on the last drawer were 3" wide. In general 2.5" pulls are hard to find so to find matching pulls in different sizes was going to be difficult. Lowe's only had one option and had pulls in 2.5" and 3 and 1/4".

Since the 3" holes on the bottom were slightly too small I had to measure out a new hole, plug the hole I wasn't using with caulk, sand it down after it dried and spray paint over it a second time. It really didn't take that much time. Maybe an hour or two total from start to finish. And a lot of that time was waiting time while everything dried. Then you just measure out another hole and drill it. Voila, now the bottom holes are larger.

Here are the after photos. It looks much better I think.



Total cost: $28.00
Dresser = Free
Knobs = $20.00
Spray Paint = 2 cans of slate blue at $4.00 each for a total of $8.00

Price on Craigslist: $100.00
Now, let's hope it sells! I may have made a gigantic mistake painting it blue. It may be white come next week.

Update 7/24/12
Sold for $75. I had someone interested in coming over last night to buy it for $100 but they didn't show up. This other woman really wants it but can only afford $75 and can come by tonight. Since I'm nice and really just want this thing out of my living room, I said that's fine. $50 bucks profit buys me a LOT of happy meals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1950's TV Bar Cart Transformation

I found this idea on Pinterest. Some cleaver person took a vintage 1950's tv, gutted it, and transformed it into a bar. What a genius idea! The moment I saw it, I knew I would have to re-create it. Here was the inspiration: First I had to track down a tv. I scoured Craigslist and found someone who was selling one for $25 so I snatched it up. In order to make a "bar" out of a tv, you need to remove all the "guts." Let me tell you now that removing the picture tube (inside of the tv) was a terrifying experience. I had read tutorial after tutorial online regarding the CRT (cathode ray tube). Every single tutorial I read said that if the CRT breaks, it would explode like a bomb sending glass particles everywhere. I.was.terrified. I did not take any pictures of the tv before it was gutted, or of the actual picture tube itself. Why I don't know but here is a stock photo I found online to show you what I was dealing with! It took me literally two w...

Granite!

It's been awhile since I last posted! I suck at this whole blogging business. I haven't been doing many home repairs over the past few months. I've pretty much run out of space in my 1,000 sq foot condo and because of that I can't go out and buy any new furniture pieces to refurbish because I have no where to put them! Anywho - I finally pulled the trigger and bought granite countertops. I figure it's about time. For the past 2 years I've been using a "fake countertop" made out of plyboard! I found an excellent granite dealer out of Manassas. Their name is Natural Stones, Inc. They definitely had the best prices in the area. I purchased the Santa Cecilia Light for $30/sq foot. Everything, including the sink, was only $1,400 for my entire kitchen. And they delivered and installed it within 4 days! Here is a picture of the countertop color. I love it! Next I had to figure out what kind of backsplash I wanted. I bought a few samples from Lowes and Home De...

New Armoire - Check!

I spent this past Saturday doing what I normally do which is take a trip to the Chantilly Habitat for Humanity Re-Store to see what goodies they have. I was looking through the 50% off furniture section when I saw this: I just had to have it! It may not look too good in the picture but trust me when I say it's a sturdy, 6 foot tall, armoire that would have cost around $200 new. So, I bought it for $35.00, took it apart in the store, crammed half of it in my new Versa (I need a bigger car already) and then had Habitat deliver the other half. I decided I wanted it to go in my master bedroom so that I've have a place for the TV aside from on my dresser which blocks the nice, pretty, rather large framed picture I have above it. Since I have the Hemnes bedroom set from Ikea in dark brown/black, I knew I'd have to spray paint this nice armoire. So, I started taking it apart and spray painting it on my now black patio. I will definitely be posting a "how did I resurface my pa...